Tuesday, July 20, 2010

My 3 Favorite Knives for Survival...



A knives importance in a survival situation cannot be underestimated.

It is the tool that can fabricate most anything that you might need...to prepare food...defend yourself...and so on...

I agree with Ron Hood of survival.com that if I had to choose one knife to have with me in a survival situation...I would have a swiss army knife. As I said in another recent article...I like the Swiss Army Trekker. Here is why...

1. It is a longer length than what you might expect a "standard" swiss army knife to be...which makes it easier for me to grip...and the blades and other implements longer.

2. I despise having to pull out twenty tools to find the one that I want! The Trekker has the tools I use most. A knife...saw...and awl...without all the extras. Oh...and the very important tweezers! Can't tell you how often I get splinters.

3. My biggest heartburn with Swiss army has been that when the implements in the knife get gummed up at all...it can take remarkable fingernail strength to open the knife. The trekker has a "one handed" open model that allows for the blade to open with a large thumb loop.

If I could choose two knives to take into a survival situation...
I would want the Ka-Bar Becker BK2. Here's why...

1. It has a heavier weight that allows for you to chop at branches. Like having a mini axe on your hip.

2. It is as thick as a pry bar which makes for effective batoning of wood. (Splitting of wood) This thickness makes it a virtually indestructible knife. No worries about abusing it.

3. It is not a cumbersome mini-sword like so many other knives made for similar purposes.

4. Though it may feel cumbersome...especially after carving with smaller knives...it is capable of doing various carving tasks.

If you wear it on your belt...be prepared to have people stop you and say "Holy Cow! What kind of knife is that!"...as most folks aren't used to such a heavy utility knife.

If I could choose a third knife I would have a simple Mora clipper knife. I have the carbon steel 840mg. (military green) Here is why...
1. I just love carving with it. It just feels good in my hand...and glides through wood.

2. It has a clearly laid bevel that beginners can easily sharpen. The carbon steel blade version has stayed sharp for me for a long time.

3. It weighs very little.

4. It is a tried and true effective bushcraft knife.

5. Not that this has any bearing on it's actual utility...but I also appreciate how inexpensive it is!

Knives are largely a thing of preference. What works best for one...may not be the best for another. Post any knife recommendations in the comments... Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. I appreciate the feedback about the knives. First hand knowledge is always a good thing!

    I need to pick up a couple of good knives to add to the supplies, I think! Can't have enough, I'm thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're looking for a tough but inexpensive knife might I recommend the cold steel bushman:

    http://www.ltspecpro.com/bushmanseries.html

    They are tough as nails, and in a pinch they convert to a spear. I have three (one in each 72 hour bag). Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curious your thoughts on the Leatherman Wave. It's been my trusted companion for many years on many adventures . . . not to mention more household chores than I can count. I'm guessing weight is the main factor. That's actually been useful as a hammer for me at times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of the leatherman product. I've got a small one on a keychain and do have another one that I carry from time to time. I used a wave day in and out for a construction job for several years. They are very durable.

    The downside I have found with leathermen is that they can be blocky...and if you are whittling for an extended period of time...that shape in your hand isn't the most comfortable.

    Also...the one that I currently own is the biggest leatherman they make...and it is HEAVY!! Still in the nylong pack I can fit a firesteel and a little flashlight...which makes it a great survival package!

    And I'll tell you. Having a pair of pliers can be really useful...even in bushcraft situations!

    ReplyDelete