Led Zeppelins rendition of the famous blues song..."When the Levee Breaks" is about the Great Mississippi flood of 1927...which is touted as being the most destructive river flood in US history. If you can keep your rockin' out down to a minimum and really think about the lyrics...they are pretty sobering. It is the soliloquy of a poor man...in misery over losing his home...way of life...and love.
Sacramento...the Next Katrina
A while back...the history channel did a piece called "Sacramento...the Next Katrina". The basic thrust of the show was to make the case that we in the Sacramento region are the most likely...of any other place in the US...to have a Hurricane Katrina type flooding disaster. Not that it would come because of a hurricane...but because of our failing levees letting water through during excessive rain or an earthquake.
This threat actually spurned the actions of Governor Schwarzenegger to declare a State of Emergency for California's Levee System. He said that "extreme peril to the safety of persons and property exist within the California levee system". Read closely what the California Department of Water Resources had to say! While levee work has been done since that time...they are in no way impervious to breach. Perhaps one day...if Arnold is still Governor...he will share one of the biggest "I TOLD YOU SO's" in US history.
Preparing for Flooding
When surveyed...those that went through Katrina said that the two things they worried about the most were medical care...and drinking water. If you recall...most had all the water in the world at their feet...but not a drop to drink. Their water supply had been compromised and the streets were filled with water that was a mixture of sewage and who knows what else. There was only so much water that a person could carry when evacuating...and after that was used up...many went thirsty. People fought over water...children cried for water...they were helpless.
"You could filter raw sewage and drink water cleaner than bottled water!"
That is what the people at Sawyer told me today on the phone about their Zero point two water filters. Water filtration technology justs get better and better. I have a couple of water filters already...that were the best available at the time...but I will be buying a Sawyer Zero point two water filter...why?
1. It is proven. This is a filter that is being used to provide water for WHOLE VILLAGES of people with very unsafe drinking water. The kind of places where the ponds that they get their water from...are the same ponds where their animals bathe and drink...and yes...even poop.
2. Unlike other filters...this one NEVER NEEDS TO HAVE CARTRIDGES REPLACED!!!! It could go for a million gallons and keep on working!
3. With many water filtration systems out there...you have to run a hand pump to filter the water. People have problems with seals leaking...their hands get tired...not with this one...it feeds with gravity.
4. There is no scarcity mentality with this. Because it never requires replacement of a filter...you don't have to think..."If I let the community use this...I am wearing out the life of my filter...and could put my own family in jeopardy...so I'd better keep it for myself". You could truly be a good samaritan...without the risk!
5. From the Sawyer website...
- Viral Purification: The first (and thus far only) portable filtration device to remove viruses mechanically. It does so at a 5.5 log (99.9997%) rate, exceeding EPA and NSF recommendations.
- Biological Filtration: removes 7 log (99.99999%) of all bacteria like salmonella, cholera, and E. coli. And 6 log (99.9999%) of all Protozoa such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium. You will find these removal rates to equal or exceed competitive options. Therefore Sawyer offers the highest level of filtration available.
- It removes...