Yesterday...my eldest daughter and I parked at a car wash...and walked a short distance up a trail in a forested area of the city. On our way we saw Toyon berries...Black Sage...Black Alder...and a host of other wild edibles...but that wasn't what we were stopping for...we wanted some pine nuts.
- P. torreyana ("Torrey Pine") - Found in a very small area in SW California
- P. coulteri ("Coulter Pine") Mostly Southern CA...a little of Central CA.
- P. sabiniana ("Digger or Gray Pine") Across most of California
- P. lambertiana ("Sugar Pine") - Found in California and S Oregon.
- P. monophylla ("Single-leaf Pinyon Pine") E & Central California, Nevada, W Utah & Baja California Norte.
- P. quadrifolia ("Parry Pinyon Pine") Far S California & Baja California Norte (mixed with above).