While you may not currently be accustomed to using a bandana in your day to day life...here are some reasons why you might consider having a supply of them...to put into your emergency packs or to take with you if you are headed outdoors...
1. It isnt bulky like a hat yet can still keep sun off your head. It can be tied directly onto your head...or stuck into the back of a hat for added neck protection.
2. It can be used to filter air in dusty trail conditions.
3. It can be used to prefilter any dirty water.
4. As a splint or wrap for an injured body part.
5. It is super lightweight, compact able, and affordable.
6. They can be bright colors if it is important to be seen...like for example if you are trying to keep track of family in a crowded place or riding a bike near car traffic. They can also be in muted colors...like if you are in a situation where you are trying to avoid detection.
7. A handkerchief
8. A towel
9. For cleaning wounds (if it's clean!)
10. As a blindfold11. A headband
12. A rag for cleaning anything
13. To collect morning dew off of plants for drinking.
14. If it is wet down and wrapped around one's neck...it will lower body temperature by cooling the neck and arterial blood flow. This could make you much more comfortable on a really hot day!
15. To tie up long hair to keep it out of the way.
16. To conceal your identity.
17. The possibilities go on and on!
There seem to be two main types of bandanas available on the market. Made in China types of questionable quality...and Made in the USA that more than likely will be of a better quality. They are generally sold made of 100% cotton or as a cotton/poly blend. Personally I would steer towards the all cotton ones...as they should possess greater absorption capabilities. They also vary in size...usually no bigger than 22x22.
Here is a place that sells made in the USA bandanas. This place has made in the USA and imports...a broad variety of styles...and can even custom print logos.
I have read where people have called a bandana "The outdoorsmans best friend"...and one can clearly see why someone might say that given their many uses. Perhaps now a bandana won't just be for the movie cowboys, pirates, and Bruce Springsteen's back pocket...but for you too!!