Friday, June 3, 2011

One Second After...

My local public library has a variety of audiobooks available for download.  I read a lot...and like the idea of being able to "read" from time to time without the effort involved with having to concentrate on the pages of a book.  And free from the library suits me well.

I went ahead and listened to a book called "One Second After".  I won't attempt to rehash the plot...other than to say that it is a about a small town dealing with the effects of an EMP.  Read more on the Amazon page if you want more details than that.

It was a grim story.  A coarse life that could one day be our reality.  While some preparedness types may spend their energies dickering over the plausibility of every scenario in such a book...for me the value is how it gets me thinking about what I would do if faced with similar situations...and how I would want to be prepared for such times.  It  reminded me that it would be good to have a sling on my shotgun!

The book is loaded with moral conundrums regarding a parents desire to take care of self and family...and the difficulties one faces trying to balance that with taking care of a community that is also very needy.  Such a book serves as a slap in the face...to wake us up from our complacency and ingratitude for the blessings we currently enjoy.

Be warned that just like in real life...this book has some ugly characters saying and doing ugly things.  It also has people that show themselves to be selfless and good...people we all ought to aspire to be like.

I also want to mention that the man who read the audiobook was incredible!  He made the voices of little girls...old southern men...gruff talking tough guys...etc.  I wouldn't be surprised if he had 100 different characters to make up a voice for in the course of the book!  Excellent job.

This is a book that I will remember.



3 comments:

  1. I looked up the book and it is grim indeed.

    I feel confident that the Lord will bless us and we will be inspired to know what to do and where to be to do it. I know we will be protected as we trust the Lord. Otherwise what is the point.

    When the time comes when the prophets warn us to arm ourselves, I'll make sure I'm armed, trained and ready, but until then, I'll be storing food and being as cheerful and happy as I can about the future, because I fully intend to have the positive thoughts like the prophets and general authorities and know that as I do what I'm told I will be helped.

    Hope that makes sense.

    In my mind, if I am obedient I will be blessed to know what will save my life, and so far I haven't had any particular feeling that I need to prepare for a seige against me or my home. I don't doubt that may happen one day, but for now, I'm doing Dinner in a Jar and drying food and canning food and preparing the best way I can, and I know the Lord will bless us in our weaknesses.

    I think The Patriot is the only book I'll read that shows the future the way it does. It's just too much for me to worry about what can happen.

    Meanwhile I'm taking First Responder classes and doing my best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book, and yes it is a bit grim if you choose to look at it that way. I chose to read it to gain insight as to what I might expect to see happen in an emp or other scenario. I felt it was very true to life and it gave me many things to ponder as far as preparedness is concerned. It helped me to realize I really need to be more conscious about being able to care for our own medical needs and not think there will always be medication or doctors around. As well as where would we bury the dead and how would we deal with those who broke the law including killing for food? It also made me realize that it really is a good idea to team up with others who think like I do in my area, preferably neighborhood, and put together some ideas about how we would deal with these and other situations. I would suggest that if you choose to read this book, look at the seemingly negative issues presented as an easy way to learn and gain perspective. I highly recommend this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your great comments.

    I do want to say that the reason I did mention some of the "grim" and "ugly" is because a large percentage of the audience for my blog are Christian folks that don't watch rated R movies because of the content...and I wanted any reader going into it to not be taken by surprise. Personally...I thought "patriots" was far more graphic than this.

    You're dead on right about how it teaches to take care of your own medical needs!

    Another thing I really liked about the book was how it highlighted how many skills now worthwhile in a working economy...are worthless in a broken one. The part where they were letting refugees in who had needed skills hit me. On the list of skills they wanted...were people who could tell what wild foods could be eaten. That is a skill I have worked on for years. Perhaps one day I will help to feed a community with the things I know.

    I have a hard time doing a blanket recommendation of this book. Some are so weak and overwhelmed...they would simply sink into despair. I also wouldn't care to have my children read this yet. I do speak with them about many of the realities of life...but must feed them milk before meat. Personally...I see this book as a blessing to a mature preparedness minded person...who will do something with what they've learned.

    ReplyDelete